Welcome to the Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences! The staff at the Center for 21st Century Skills is excited to be working with you in the upcoming school year. The Learn21 Summer Conference 2012 will be held this year from August 13-16 at Naugatuck Valley Community College in Waterbury, Conn. Please plan to arrive for registration and coffee at 8:00AM. Workshops will begin promptly at 8:30 and should wrap up around 3PM.
To ensure that every participant gets the most out of this summer training, we ask that educators complete the following tasks prior to arriving at the Learn21 conference on August 13. Instructions can be found on this page as well as in the introductory e-mail sent to all teachers at the end of July.
First and foremost, please arrive at the Learn21 conference knowing your e-mail username and password. You may be using computers that do not have your information saved, and you must have access your email throughout the week. It is up to you if you’d like to use your personal or school e-mail address.
In addition, please bring a laptop or mobile tablet if you have one available to you; if not, we will have a limited number of devices to loan for the week.
The Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences uses a blended learning environment, which includes face-to-face classroom instruction augmented by an online learning environment. For our online course delivery component we use a platform called Moodle. Use of Moodle is critical to the successful implementation of the Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences program, and there will be much hands-on training throughout Learn21.
Let’s get started!
- Access the Moodle site by visiting http://moodle.skills21.org and clicking the Login link on the top right of the page. Your username is your first initial followed by your last name (ex. John Doe becomes JDoe), lowercase with no spaces in between. Your temporary password is Changeme1, with a capital C. You will be forced to change your password before entering the site. Make sure to use something you will remember. Note: If you find your username/password combination does not work, please contact Emily Wasley.
- After you change your password and return to the Moodle homepage, locate the Learn21 Summer Conference category on the right-hand side of the page. Click through and enter the Learn21 Summer Conference course.
- Once inside the course, find Unit 1: Moodle 101.
- Locate the tutorial Editing Your Profile. Use the guide to update your information and add a profile picture.
- Find Unit 2: Digital Portfolio and access your Digital Portfolio using the Creating Your Digital Portfolio guide. Although we want you to access/create your portfolio prior to the conference, you do not need to make any changes to your Digital Portfolio at this time; we will have a hands-on WordPress workshop on Tuesday, August 14.
- Finally, locate the Welcome to Learn21! forum in the introduction unit of the Learn21 course. Click on it and reply to the first a post using the prompts in the forum.
If you have any questions or need assistance in setting up your account or completing the above tasks, please do not hesitate to contact Emily Wasley.
Look forward to seeing you in August!